GB No. 4(19)/95
THE REGIONAL CENTRE FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (ROE)
The Regional Centre for Sustainable Development (ROE) - was established at the end of
November, 1993 at the University of Economics in Jelenia Góra, on the joint initiative of
the academics and the Convention of Local Governments of Communes from Jelenia Góra
Province. The Centre is engaged in education, research, and implementation of principles
of sustainable development on a local and regional level.
The Centre's activities are supported by the Research - Programme Council. The
structure of the Centre is made up of two laboratories:
REGIONAL CENTRE for ECO-EDUCATION - RCEE (educational laboratory).
It is a member of International Association for Eco-Education, seat in Giessen. RCEE
collaborates also with other regional centres, constituting a national network of regional
centres for eco-education, and ecological organisations in Czech Republic, Slovakia,
Hungary and Slovenia.
RCEE's objective is to develop the pro-ecological education (in its broad sense) of
Its main goals are:
- to inspire, support, and coordinate educational undertakings relating to ecology in
Jelenia Góra Province
- to promote an ecological point of view within all classes of society,
- to cooperate with other pro-ecological organisations in the region,
- to organise and take part in conferences, seminars, courses, etc.,
- to negotiate contacts with pro-ecological organizations in Poland, foreign programmes
- to collect materials and teaching aids,
- to do publisher's work.
RCEE's paramount programmes:
- eco-education for children and youth,
- post-graduate studies on ecology and environment protection for teachers,
- continuing education for members of local governments in getting through controversies
over activities relating to environmental protection,
- spreading principles of macrobiotic nutrition, eco-psychology and eco-philosophy for
- conducting research on households with regard to level of awareness in family members in
towns and villages of different number of inhabitants.
RESEARCH AND IMPLEMENTATION LABORATORY
The Main tasks for this laboratory are:
- to promote and implement principles of sustainable development on a regional and local
- to improve environmental management methods,
- to disseminate model solutions relating to sustainable use of natural resources,
- to engage in pro-ecological cross-border undertakings,
Among research projects put forward by this laboratory, there are:
- establishing regional and local Agenda-21's,
- small-scale water power plants,
- sustainable tourism development,
- principles for managing protected areas, health-cities.
The Regional Centre
for Sustainable Development (ROE)
58-500 Jelenia Góra
ul. Nowowiejska 3
tel./fax: 48/75/257 50, ext. 264 or 279
GB No. 4(19)/95 | Contents